Thursday, December 30, 2010

Kaley got sick...

Kaley hasn't been sick very much. I think she has had a runny nose twice in her life. When we got back from Dallas she got a cold. The Dr gave her some cough medicine but she only had a low grade fever. The next day her fever went up so I called Dr back and he prescribed some antibiotic. That night I thought we had her fever under control so we got in the car to go look at Christmas lights. I turned around to check on her and she was staring out the window, one of her eyes was twitching. I told Cole and we try to get her attention to make it stop. She was unresponsive. We called her name and tried to get her to blink and she wouldn't do anything. I thought she was choking. I jumped in the backseat and pulled her out of her car seat and started checking to see what she was choking on. Cole got the car off the road and we jumped out. She was breathing, but her lips were turning blue and she was still not responding to us. We were so scared, I have NEVER been this scared and felt so helpless. We got back in the car and decided to drive to the ER. I didn't think we could make it in time so I called 911. About the time I was talking to someone at 911, Kaley threw up and her lips went back to normal, and she was looking at me finally. I told the lady and we decided we would just drive her to ER ourselves. We got there and her temp was 102.6. We found out she had a febrile seizure. They are not dangerous(according to the Dr - but you could of fooled me), but I know I never want it to happen again. We got her fever down in the hospital and got a stronger antibiotic and then we went home. She is doing great and I will be watching her closely. I have learned the febrile seizures happen at the beginning of a fever, during a spike in temp, and so you usually have no warning.

4 comments:

raschel said...

oh my GOSH! How SCARY! Makena got sick over Christmas too--and ran her highest fever yet 103.7 (that scared the crap out of me). I thought febrile seizures didnt start until the body temp was way higher (like 104 and above??). I'm going to read about them now....I would've FREAKED out. Chills! It gave me chills!! I hope she's feeling better now, and that you never have to experience them again!!!

Crystal Corona said...

OH my gosh! I am so sorry Amber that must have been horrible. I am glad she is okay!!! Hope she feels better.

Karon said...

I know that you were frightened, to say the least, and as soon as we heard, we all started praying for yall! And thank our Great God in Heaven for answering prayers, in the form of doctors and nurses, parents and grandparents, and the angels that walk among us everyday! We are so glad that Kaley Rose is better! We love her sooooo much, and you & Cole, too!

The Chaplins said...

oh my word. you poor thing!!! this post brought tears to my eyes. i am so happy/relieved to hear that she is fine. Praise God!